Friday, May 20, 2011

OOOOOH, SAAAAAAD:

You may already know this about me, but as I graduated high school my goal was to join up with the WCW Powerhouse training ground for professional wrestlers.  Why did I want to do this?  Because every fabric of my being wanted to dive off the top rope and devastate someone with an elbow.  I had seen triple back flips and inverted corkscrew splashes, but there was just something about that elbow.  I mean, that was the debate when I was a kid "Leg Drop vs. Elbow Drop" (you know what I'm talking about if you watched wrestling).

I vote Elbow Drop.
Today the master of the top rope elbow drop passed away.  He was an amazing showman and really set the bar for tasteless clothing.  To see him was to know everything you needed to know, gigantic and flamboyant with a hint of legit crazy in his eyes.  His romance with Miss Elizabeth was the first soap opera I ever watched.  I wanted to be the "Macho Man" Randy Savage.  Who wouldn't?  Do yourself a favor and go look up the Macho Man vs. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat at Wrestlemania 3.

The rumor is that he suffered a heart attack while driving and that led to a collision with a tree.  He died later at the hospital.  Thankfully reports are saying that it had nothing to do with alcohol or drugs (and let's admit it...he was cocaine on legs back in the day) and his wife survived the accident.

Whether you grew up like I did dreaming of dropping that big elbow, started snapping into a Slim Jim with him, or got introduced to him as Bone Saw in the first Spiderman movie the world lost an amazing performer today.  Go spend some time on youtube listening to him talk crazy in his interviews and see if you don't fall in love with the man who was "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

Rest in peace, Randy Poffo.

He made it look good.
PS.  He also put out a rap album, which is just as ridiculous as you think it is.  After the jump.



No comments: