Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I Grew Up Listening To You:

I have to imagine a beautiful twenty year old standing on a stage telling you that they have loved your music since infancy would be an ego boosting reminder of your career and the impact you've had on an entire generation.  But, what if it was just a constant reminder that you're getting older?  I thought about it last night while I caught up on the new (and really fun) show, The Voice. (Hulu)

Christina Aguilera was told time and time again, "I grew up listening to your music."  I work with teens and it can really take a toll on me at times because you get a very warped view of your own age.  At Twenty-Five I was old.  Now, I'm ancient.  Xtina is almost the exact same age as me, so she must be feeling it a little.  The constant pressing on of time.  Our inability to halt the constant creep of aging and ultimately aging out of the culture that she helped create.

Lucky for her, God blessed her with good skin and an amazing voice so she's still got some play as a culture maker.  But, it's still got to sting a little when you see your potential replacement on stage.  It's got to hurt a little more when they remind you with the best of intentions that you used to matter more than you do now.

Here's a funny chart that will make you feel old as well.

No comments: