Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Damage:

If you haven't traveled through North Georgia to see the destruction or lived among it, the scope will be difficult to truly grasp.  I have gone out twice now to help with relief efforts, cutting trees, hauling brush, whatever is needed of me on site.  I'm still shocked that no one died around me, giant chunks of earth are completely upturned.  Giant hundred year old trees with giant hundred year old root systems falling and crushing houses, cars, but again no lives.

Today, I saw the worst I've personally seen.  I cleared a lot of brush and we cut up a whole lot of trees.  Honestly, after 7 hours of hard work from almost 20 guys we only got it to go from looking like a disaster to looking like a mess.  But, still the homeowner was appreciative.  It's still weeks of work.  But, he was appreciative.

I didn't want to go this morning.  I wanted to sleep in.  I'm glad I went.

Here is a link to some pictures of the area I went to today.  Make sure you look through the whole gallery at the bottom.

No comments: