Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dead Hoodoo Blues Men:

That's what I read about during my vacation.  I knew I had a serious car ride with my family coming up and I decided the best thing I could do to make the trip enjoyable for all would be to lose myself in a book. My brother-in-law offered me up a book of his called Bone Music by Alan Rodgers.  "It's about all of the old blues musicians being magical and stuff." is what he said.

The book jumps around in time and place.  The story bounces between a couple different characters, some the old blues men, living in different parts of the United States.  Heaven and Hell are even locals in the book, mostly Hell.  While I don't agree with the theology of the book, some of the insights about spirituality were poignant.  I wanted to recommend the book.  Lot's of fun name dropping throughout the book.

Also, when the bottom drops out at the end of the book you'll wish that this could be made into a movie.  But, alas, I doubt that it could be pulled off.

One caveat, it's not a Christian story and it's populated by people making sinful choices.  The language is occasionally vulgar.  Although when a character does act like a Christian it's not looked down on, it's definitely described as a virtue.

Bone Music, check it out.  It saved me and my family from a long painful car ride.  Although, if you're looking for something more obviously edifying I've been reading Radical by David Platt and it has been wrecking me.  So, both are good, but Radical will blow your mind in all the right ways.

No comments: