Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Refuge '08

I recently attended a youth minister focused time of worship and teaching in Birmingham, AL. It was fantastic, I have to recommend anyone who has the chance to get involved with student life. They are the real deal. Take the jump to read a little about the impact of this event.

Louie Giglio, Chris Tomlin, David Platt, Kristian Stanfill, the list sounds like a who's who in popular Christian culture. Well, that's actually pretty accurate. The event brought out some big guns, and it was free. The best in music and speaking for those of us doing ministry. It was touching that they would put on something like this for us, but then the whole thing actually started. From moment one my typically jaded, sarcastic take on things that are popular faded. Chris Tomlin shared his heart and it wasn't flashy or showy. The kicker is he did it between stops on his national radio tour. He could have been home or sleeping and he played a free show for us.

Louie Giglio took the stage and broke from his usual smooth delivery and just kind of talked about his church for a while. Then he talked about grace. My new battle cry, "I Can't", was born from his talk. Jesus Christ is the only hope of anything happening in our ministry. This theme has appeared and been resonant in my life for a few weeks now. From my time going through Experiencing God to this weekend, I'm reminded that God is doing and doesn't need me, but invites me to join in.

That was the first night. The next nights were filled with Kristian Stanfill's music and passion. I was not a fan of Stanfill's going into this. I had no idea what he was about and I really hadn't heard his music, basically I was rebelling against something popular. I was so wrong. Stanfill is a white hot, blazing, furnace of joy for his Messiah. That poured into his times of worship leading with us. I was blessed to have watched him sing praises to our God. That night Randy Hall spoke, you don't know Randy, but you should. He's the man at the helm of Student Life.

Randy shared a message that followed suit for my life. That we are not in control. Also, he gave us a new definition of youth ministry. I'll put it up if anyone is interested.

The last night was all David Platt, the man quoted Romans 1-8. That is not a typo, I didn't forget the chapter, he did all 8 chapters because, as Luther said, "You can't understand Romans 9 until you understand Romans 1-8." Then after he got my attention he used the truth of scripture to shatter me. In short you can sum up his message as this. "If you believe the first 8 chapters, then you carry the burden of the 9th." Even shorter, 1/3 of all humanity is presently storing up God's wrath and will eventually be in an eternal hell. I hadn't heard it in a while and I needed to. We don't get to pick and choose what part of God's word is a privilege and which part is a burden. God calls everyone to global missions. That's what I was left with and that's what you get left with. Gospel truth, you are called to global missions, figure out how.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I was also at refuge...and wow.. just what I needed.... just a quicky.. i was about to lay off for a season.. some real struggles... but it was just what the name says.. REFUGE... wow.. David Platt is awesome...if I only had his passion that he had in that message... Well, just wanted to comment.. ebcstudentministries@gmail.com