Monday, February 11, 2008

You bettah work!

The heading for this post, as drawn from the Rupaul song "Supermodel", might sound like a call for girl power if you grew up in the 90's. But, to me, as a full time youth minister in a rural area, it sounds like tragedy. I have plenty of youth who are completely unaware that they are throwing away the only period of their life where they can genuinely focus solely on Christ and building relationships.

Neo-Baptist, a blog I just recently found, posted an article written by a "pastoral colleague" on the dangers of work for Christian youth. Check it out after the jump and don't leave without giving your opinion.

My pastoral colleague wrote this piece on what he thinks the real issue facing Christian youth is. See what you think:

“What’s the biggest issue facing our youth in church these days? Is it the menace of drugs or the lure of sex and alcohol? Could it be that great struggle to maintain a devotional time with God each day? Could it be the struggle for acceptance, which forces young people to give into peer pressure and compromise their beliefs? No!

I believe it’s the economy. That’s right; when I was young I had a part time job that took up a sum total of 3 hours on a Thursday night. I started that job when I was in grade 11 and didn’t get another job until university. I earned the massive total of $60 per month!!! But guess what, I had a life!!! That’s right, I was able to play sport and hang out with friends. I attended youth group and I was a leader in the Boys Brigade.

I had a mentor who would do an hour bible study with me each week and I attended a small group. I volunteered in all types of events and even went on camps. Despite not being the best student, I managed to work hard enough to get an OP that was consistent with my academic intelligence. You see I put God first in my life and Money second. Every time I put on an event at church these days I am met with the worst reason ever for non-attendance….. ‘I have to work’.

Guess what: you do have to work - you will be working for 50 years! Having a part-time job is great, but if it stops you from serving God and growing in your faith then it just isn’t worth it. Parents will look after your basic needs, so what’s the point in missing out on fun and friendship, just so you can own an extra pair of shoes or some nice sunglasses.

When I look back on my high school years, a smile creeps across my face, why, because of all the great times I had. I love life now as well, but a big reason for that is because I grew a strong relationship with God while I was young.

In Matthew 6:25-34 Jesus tells us not to worry about the material things in life, but to put God first. Jesus even attaches a promise to that, he says that when we put God first, all the other parts of life will fall into balance.

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

So, if you want a great life, make sure that part-time job never comes between you and God!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the guy's a genius... That's why I work with him! Steve is his name.
Thanks for visiting neobaptist.com, enjoying your site!
kind regards,
Gordon