Thursday, March 1, 2012

Trike Drifting

When I was in college me and the rest of the BSU decided to go on a retreat to this little cabin type situation near a lake. I’m pretty sure it was in Georgia. Either way, it was on a hill. The paved road spiraled slowly around the hill. The people in charge of the property had kids.

One of the lazy days of hanging out at this retreat lead me to get bored and I grabbed one of the kids little tricycle things. No one was watching me. I launched down the hill. After almost dying I ran back up the hill with, what was now, the greatest invention of all time. As I explained what had just happened no one said, “that seems dangerous.” Friend after friend launched themselves down the death spiral, some losing it in turns and flying over the edge only to roll into a tree. I had to jump a guy that got too wide in a turn. It was the thing that would have made us internet stars.

Eventually, we found a second toy and raced each other. Then I raced my friend Nick, this was only the second time I had rode including the inaugural launch. Somehow the dozens of times people went down the hill no one found the giant rough patch of concrete, but I did. As my front tire dug in and I lost all control, my body flipped head over heels. The considerable speed allowed me to pass completely over the concrete landing in a muddy patch. I thought I was going to die, the whole flip.

Of course, we built ramps.

I saw this video and every one of those memories came back just as vivid as the day we made them. It is a wonderful thing to survive stupid choices. A blessing to survive them with friends.


I want.

No comments: