Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mad Men summed up in two clips:

First, a confession.  I have never seen an episode of the AMC show Mad Men.  I have been prodded by my good friend Tommy (@BrandNewTommy) several times and he promised me I would love it.  As soon as things get a strong whiff of popularity I tend to run the other direction.  So, even when I had cable, I never watched the show.

Tommy did get me to watch one clip by posting it on one of the social media outlets (Probably Friendster).  To be completely honest, I was enthralled by the monologue in it.  This is the video.




In three and a half minutes I felt like I knew everything about Don Draper.  I still have this pop up in my head.  What a stunningly well written and performed scene.  But, I still never watched the show.  Maybe I got introduced the wrong way.  I thought I tasted the absolute best and there couldn’t be any reason to get involved.  No need to spoil such a pristine moment.

But, SNL and pop culture kept informing me on the topic of Mad Men and I kept avoiding watching it. I knew there was more to it than this monologue.  Then two or three days ago I saw social media buzz over something weird.  Everyone was saying, “Zoobee Zoobee Zoo”.  I jumped over to Google and did a quick search.  Turned out it had to do with Mad Men.  A year later and I got my second taste of the show.

This clip epitomized exactly what I assumed the other half of the show was.  Sex.  Sexuality and the 60’s.  So, if you are uncomfortable with some sexy sexiness and French language songs, don’t watch.




In my mind, that sums up Mad Men.  Those two clips are as far as I can tell, the whole show.  Don Draper blowing minds and sex.  I’m sure the show is as good as everyone says.  I have experienced it myself.

But, I’m good.  I get it.  I’ve experienced the best it has and am intrigued.  I just can’t imagine there is anything better than these two clips.

No comments: