Saturday, July 9, 2011

Radical:

Currently, I am reading David Platt’s book by the same name as this blogpost.  I’ve enjoyed the book in that perverse way that people enjoy really hard workouts.  It sucks and you feel absolutely destroyed but the end result is that you are a little bit healthier.  The book has been a heavy workout for my soul.  Particularly chapter 6 . . . which I finished just recently.

I want to share with you a section that hit me and has continued to resonate in my head.

A wealthier man in our faith family came to my office after we had been studying the story of the rich young man.  He sat down, looked at me, and said point-blank, “I think you’re crazy for saying some of the things you are saying.”  Then he paused, and I wasn’t sure what direction this conversation was going to go.  He continued, “But I think you’re right.  And so now I think I’m crazy for thinking the things I’m thinking.”

For the next few minutes, he described how he was selling his large house and had decided to give away many of his other possessions.  He talked about the needs he wanted to invest his resources in for the glory of Chrsit.  The he looked at me through tears in his eyes and said, “I wonder at some points if I’m being irresponsible or unwise.  But then I realize there is never going to come a day when I stand before God and he looks and me and says, ‘I wish you would have kept more for yourself.’  I’m confident that God will take care of me.”
 I think everyone should read this book.  You can buy it here.

No comments: