Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Mando:

I've been in North Carolina for the last couple days (which you'd know if you followed me on foursquare) and have spent a good chunk of it playing around with my sister in law's mandolin.  I don't think she can play the mandolin, but I do think it's mandatory for any self respecting hippy to have one.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Either way, this thing is super fun.  I have picked up a few chords and learned a couple of the catchy Mando licks.  Oh, I'm sorry, there I go using the secret language of the mandolin playing world.  That's right, in our tight knit circle of mandolin virtuosos we shorten the name.  It's just something we do.

Sometimes I like to play my mando while riding in a lambo.

I've got the little lead lick from Maggie Mae and some of Losing My Religion.  It's been fun playing all those old gospel tunes.  I'm about to dip into Hayseed Dixie's catalog and see if I can't learn some mando AC/DC.

Super fun.  Everyone should get a mandolin.




Basically, Marty Stuart is my new hero.

No comments: