Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Gangsta Rap Didn't Exist":

Here's three options for who said the above quote.

Option 1 - Alicia Keys

Option 2 - Jesse Jackson

Option 3 - Calvin "Snoopy Double-D-O-G" Brodus

Take the leap to find out the answer.



Drum roll please. . .and the answer is. . .Alicia Keys. You can find The Huffington Post's article about the interview here. Here's a highlight. Remember that this is all second hand. I wasn't able to find the actual article online. I'll try to keep this as much about her quotes as possible.

Gangsta rap' was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other. Gangsta rap' didn't exist.
The article then touched on another of her beliefs.

Another of her theories: That the bi-coastal feud between slain rappers Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. was fueled "by the government and the media, to stop another great black leader from existing."

I read this article and was genuinely shocked on a few levels. On one level I was shocked that anyone was still taking their leadings from The Black Panthers, a group notorious for their hate. I always pegged Keys for being a bit of a Urban Hippie. Secondly, I'm surprised at how tame her fans have been about this whole thing. There's mostly a "Hey, be cool, she wouldn't say that" kind of vibe.

As far as the "Gangsta Rap" thing goes. As music is a reflector of society I have to say that the labels that paid them, Death Row for example, were in it for the money, not for political positioning. As far as the government taking away great black leaders, Barack Obama. I guess we need to better understand what she expects from a strong black leader. Something more violent, like a Black Panther?

What's it mean in the end?

She's a celebrity, she is a super talented musician, and she is just as flawed as the rest of us. Check the article out and let me know what it makes you think about. Is there a clear scripture link here?

No comments: