Friday, September 21, 2007

A Bouncy Trip to The Thrift Store

Today I was at the "A-Z Thrift Store" and two really great things happened to me. I think that one of them might have been an, "I want to live" type moment. That is, if I had been depressed or something. I'm not, which is why I don't need an, "I want to live moment". I guess I should take a moment and address the random person who might find this blog by searching "I want to live". If you typed that in because you are depressed, well, you should keep living. You being alive excites someone, even if it's not you. On top of that, and more importantly, God made you and cares for you. I bet I would like you if I knew you. So, keep living, I want you to live!

To find out what two things happened at the thrift store, take the jump.



The "A-Z Thrift Store, I believe, is a church run organization. My girlfriend and I went in to look for her a 90's themed outfit. She's going on a trip with the women of the church and they are going to hold a "multi generational" fashion contest. So, we went looking for the most 90210esque outfit they had.

I guess it would be more appropriate to say, she went looking for clothes while I went looking for a discarded digital video camera. No luck, on the camera. It was in my searching through the old Polaroid cameras and discarded falderal, that I made my way to the vinyl albums. I went looking for some ridiculous album that I wouldn't feel bad about melting up into a cool vinyl bowl that I had been wanting to make. This is where I got to be a part of the awesome joy altering moment.

Right behind me, in what I believe was the children's book section, was a man and his daughter. She was probably 10, tops. I'm going to assume he was in his thirties, even thought I don't see why it matter. This little girl was sitting on the floor with her feet under her and her feet splayed out pointing either way behind her. She sang a song, that she wrote, and was probably writing just before it came out of her mouth. It was delightfully Spanish. The best part was that she was wearing big white on the outside, pink on the inside bunny ears.

Needless to say I stayed in the record section a little longer glancing over my shoulder as she continued to sing her song and lightly project herself into the air. Only occasionally did I pick up the word "Bounce", often repeated a couple times. That was so sweet. She didn't have a care in the world, she was a bunny and her song was perfect. It was a bouncy song, full of joy. She didn't stop singing till I stepped out of the records and into her line of sight. I broke the illusion. There's a whole post in itself right there. But, onto the second, less amazing thing.

When I got done ruining that little girl's party I went to look at the used furniture. I wanted to see if I could find anything to help me with the storage in the youth trailer. It needs shelving. I didn't find it, but I did see a perfectly fine Ping-Pong table. I looked at it and it only had to braces that connect the frame to the table missing. It didn't seem like that big of a deal. I passed it by though. I didn't see any point in looking for a price, I didn't want to spend that kind of money.

I did a once around the furniture and came back to the Ping-Pong table(also check this out). I looked for a price this time and couldn't see anything. I scoured the thing until I saw "SOLD" in big black letters. I was down till I realized that it was scratched through. I perked up a little. I still didn't see a price on it, which made me think it was actually sold and someone was trying to ruin my party. I walked to the board game area.

Did you know that christian board games have terrible art and packaging. It's true, and there is no better place to see this than at a Thrift Store. That's because, all those religious board games you buy for people don't get lost, they get donated. So you can scrap your board game evangelism ministry. All that means is that I didn't spend much time in the board game room. I was going to find my lady friend when I saw a woman with a box full of fake leaves in her hands. I stopped her and asked if she worked there. When she said, yes, I tentatively asked her if the Ping-Pong table was really sold or not. She told me that it in fact had not been sold, I began to glow. She asked me if I wanted it, and I asked, "How much?" She replied, "Today, for you, five dollars."

I nearly flipped out. I immediately ran to ask my pre-ance if she thought it was a good idea to buy it. She gave me a qualified yes and I called the church pastor to see if I should get it. He gave me an unqualified yes and told em to get it and keep it in the fellow ship hall. It was on. I was buying a full size, five dollar Ping-Pong table. So, today, I need to go to bed, I'm going to go pick up my Ping-Pong table and take it to church.

See how great a day I had? Thank you "A-Z thrift Store", you made my day. See the bouncy tie-in? Bouncy rabbit girl. . .bouncy Ping-Pong balls? I gotta say, that's the best post title ever! Hope y'all have something close to as great a day as I have had.

No comments: