Monday, July 16, 2007

Post Mission Trip Post

This is going to be short. **I was wrong - 7/21/07**

I just got back from a whirlwind trip to New Mexico in which I was allowed to work with the Church Rock Chapter of the Navajo tribe in Gallup. We, my church, went to lead Vacation Bible School for the local Native Americans. It was a spectacle. Oddly enough, my good friend Andrew posted about VBS the day we started doing it. Check it out, here.

I believe there was a total of 4 individuals who professed their faith in Christ. My girlfriend was involved with one of them. A little girl who was precious. Also, we saw a grown man who is a father of 3 come to know Christ. Please be in prayer for all the people of Gallup in the Navajo Nation. There is a deep thirst for living water.

I got a chance to spend time with lots of young teens to young adults. I learned that Dodge ball is universal, but only slightly less so than the Gospel. I kid you not, Danelle and myself could have everyone really excited and then lose them but, never with Dodge ball. That's what makes this last little note so special.

I had absolutely no control over the crowd in New Mexico. They would literally walk away from me while I was talking to them. They would purposefully ignore my requests, to the point that it was almost ridiculous. Until the Dodge balls came out. Three of the nights I got a really good chance to meet with the whole group, the other night's timing was off. It was there, sitting in the circle in the middle of the basketball gym that The Gospel really showed itself to be transcendent.

I spoke about repentance and faith. I used some simple analogies that I got from The Way of The Master. They never ignored me. They were engaged and no one left out of apathy or boredom. Each night I went back to my hotel room more and more amazed by Scriptures ability to cut straight to the heart of each person there.

I don't know if any of the Navajo in my group professed Christ as their personal Savior. If they did, I hope to see them next year, teaching God's word to a lost people group. If no one did then I just thank God that I was allowed to plant seeds that someone else can harvest. Either way, I drew closer to God because of the preaching of His word.

If you've never taught God's word, you must! There is no quicker way to sure up your faith than to teach what Holy Scripture says to be true. I recommend praying for the missionaries in New Mexico, they are not without persecution from the Navajo themselves. Finally, please, read Scripture and teach it, share what you are learning. It will make your faith grow deeper.

Pray for the Navajo to raise up leaders who will lead their families in a Christ like way.

Thanks,
Chris

1 comment:

Andrew Lindsey said...

w00t! DodgeBall evangelism!

-Thanks for posting this; it's encouraging.

Your brother in Christ,
-Andrew