Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I am going apolotical

I didn't watch the 2015 State of the Union address.  I didn't have to.  I have a mixed bag of friends on social media and they did more than enough to tell me how to feel about it.  My friends on the right felt that every word out of President Obama's mouth was venomous lies or at best inane drool from the mouth of an incompetent.  My friends on the left would ballyhoo and cheer on every minor inflection because President Obama was not George W. Bush.

I don't know how people do it.  I don't know how they align themselves with a political party.  I don't understand how they have such indomitable assurance that they are on the right side.  Surely the other half can't be all wrong, can they?

So, I'm bowing out.  I'm sure that you, Republican, that your presumptions about how American should look and work are correct.  I'm also sure that you, Democrat, your presumptions are also completely correct.  I mean you both have statistics to back it up!  Statistics never lie.

You take the country and lead it in whatever direction you think is best, because no matter who is in power, avarice, gluttony, and selfishness are the real ones calling the shots.  I know them.  They are straight shooters.  I may not be able to trust them, but I can trust that they'll never change.

I don't expect anyone to join me.  Heck, I'll probably still vote for a president.  I'll still take moral stances.  But, I don't care much anymore about politics.  I'm actively going to avoid anything that has to do with politics until it seems like people are less interested in partisanship and profit.  My name is Chris, and I support this message.

No comments: